fbpx

PROFILE

MY SUBSCRIPTION

LOGOUT

x

The latest industry news to your inbox.

    

I'd like to hear about marketing opportunities

    

I accept IQ Magazine's Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy

Mariah Carey performs free in Dubai Expo 2020 launch

A year to the day before Dubai hosts a six-month long World Expo event, Mariah Carey is due to perform in a free concert at Burj Park.

The concert, dubbed One Year to Go, will take place on 20 October, with local singer Hussain Al Jassmi, as well as acts DJ Bliss, Abri and the Funk Radius and Khalifa also billed to perform.

The Expo, which was awarded to Dubai in 2013 by the International Exposition Bureau in Paris, will take place on a main 438-hectare site enclosed by three thematic districts – opportunity, mobility and sustainability.

A variety of live performances, cultural activities, business presentations and global celebrations will occur during the Expo.

The United Arab Emirates is also hosting live performances at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Formula One race from 28 November to December 1. Lana Del Rey will perform in the Middle East for the first time at the event, alongside EDM star Marshmello, the Killers and rapper Travis Scott.

In December, British singer Dido will perform and Dubai’s Media City Amphitheatre (15,000-cap.) and Bruno Mars will close out the year with a headline New Year’s show at the du Arena (25,000-cap.) in Abu Dhabi.

Last month, AEG Ogden, the operator of Dubai’s 17,000-capacity Coca-Cola Arena, celebrated the role the arena was playing in placing the UAE – and the wider region – on the international touring map.

Read more about the Middle East’s growing live events market below.

Full of Eastern Promise: The Middle East matures


Get more stories like this in your inbox by signing up for IQ Index, IQ’s free email digest of essential live music industry news.

Mariah Carey-headlined Livewire Festival axed

Livewire Festival 2018, which was to have been the surprise location for Mariah Carey’s only UK festival date this year, has been cancelled due to promoter illness.

A spokesperson for Manchester-based Livewire Events says the Blackpool event, whose mum-friendly line-up also featured Matt Goss and Boyz II Men, has been postponed to 2019 due to the “ill health of key personnel”. According to company filings, Livewire’s sole director is artist manager Andrew Falconer, of Piper Music Management.

“Discussions are currently underway with some of the artists’ representatives to determine participation in Livewire 2019,” the spokesperson adds.

“The decision was made due to the ill health of key personnel at the local promoter, Manchester-based Livewire Events”

Ticketholders have been advised to seek refunds from the point of purchase.

Livewire Festival debuted last year, selling out its 20,000 capacity with a nostalgia heavy bill topped by Will Smith and DJ Jazzy Jeff, the Jacksons and ‘the Hit Factory Live’ featuring Jason Donovan, Go West, Sinitta and more.

The event had expanded from three to four days for 2018, and was once again set take place at the Tower Headlands Arena (20,000-cap.) in Blackpool, a seaside resort in north-west England.

 


Get more stories like this in your inbox by signing up for IQ Index, IQ’s free email digest of essential live music industry news.

Mariah Carey sues South American promoter

Mariah Carey has sued South American promoter FEG Entretenimientos over two cancelled shows in Argentina and Chile.

Via a lawsuit filed by Mirage Entertainment in an LA court on Tuesday, Carey claims FEG breached elements of their contract on “three seperate occasions” and she was forced to cancel the gigs that were due to take place October 28 and 30, according to Billboard.

The suit claims no payments were made as required, either “late, insufficient, or totally unpaid.” That meant Carey and team either needed to risk travelling costs to make the gigs without guarantee of payment, or cancel, said attorney Bryan Freedman.

He continued: “Defendants put Ms. Carey in the unenviable position of having to cancel the shows and incur the reputational damage of such cancellation.” The debacle has reportedly cost Carey over $1 million in damages.

Carey is seeking full payment for the shows, as per rights allegedly set out in the contract between her and FEG.

 


Get more stories like this in your inbox by signing up for IQ Index, IQ’s free email digest of essential live music industry news.