Sign up for IQ Index
The latest industry news to your inbox.
Job Role Summary
The Director of Events plays a vital role at Dubai Opera. This role is responsible for leading the programming and events department to secure and deliver a diverse range of programmes which meet sales and revenue targets, and positions Dubai Opera as world class performing arts venue. The role also oversees the world class customer experience strategy, front of house operations and food and beverage function. On a daily basis this role is responsible for the operational management of the department including: customer feedback analysis, quality control and review, and the implementation of business initiatives.
Qualifications, Experience & Skills
• Degree qualified or 7+ years’ experience in a senior role within the performing arts.
• Experience in a leadership role for selecting content and artists for programmes.
• Extensive knowledge of the workings of the performing arts industry and its national and international networks.
• Demonstrated high level skills and experience in the management of customer service in a medium to large organisation with complex operations.
• Exposed to people management and strategic planning, development and implementation of products and services in an international environment.
• Negotiation skills and contract management skills.
• Skills and experience in developing and implementing business plans, when required.
• Proven ability to manage in a complex performing arts environment.
• Business management (including projects, budgets, procurement, contracts and people).
• Highly skilled communicator- verbal and written.
• Proven ability to work collaboratively across a multi-disciplined team.
• Strong team player, and leader of teams, not just a manager of people.
• Proven staff management experience, managing a sizeable team/department.
• Enthusiastic and commercially minded with a proven track record in effectively planning, delivering and embedding change.
• Lead the Programming & Events team in all financial and legal contract negotiations with artists, their representatives and other production partners ensuring that the outcomes achieve agreed artistic and financial objectives.
• Ensure the effective and efficient operation of the department and its seamless integration with other on-site event related activities.
• Evaluate areas of approved budget expenditure specific to the Programming and Events team, to ensure Dubai Opera is operating as cost effectively as possible, and contributing to the commercial success of the organisation.
• Lead the Customer Experience team to Implement and evolve customer experience strategies, initiatives, policies and procedures that continuously improve the quality of the customer experience at Dubai Opera.
• Collaborate with other departmental managers to develop and implement innovative customer focused ideas and solutions.
• Work collaboratively with key internal stakeholders on production and event requirements to support cost effective resourcing and workforce planning that meets operational requirements.
• Ensure the Dubai Opera programme incorporates strategies for the development of key programmes including: Middle Eastern, Children, Families, Education, Commercial Events, Contemporary Music and Public Programs.
• Oversee and implement initiatives to maximize sales/revenue, through venue hire, bookings, and other methods in order to achieve the yearly venue revenue goal, and increase the goal over a period of time.
• Identify the successes and challenges of both the Programming and Events and Customer Experience teams, with a focus on implementing improvement into the next event or production.
• Provide leadership and guidance to programming and events team, ensuring effective management of managers in customer experience and food and beverage and ensure delivery of a world class customer experience.
• Work closely with the Sales & Marketing to form and implement distinctive ideas that bring new business to Dubai Opera, and enhance on existing relationships.