ILMC 30 SL
eps Super Leaderboard 2017
LN Source SL
Ticketmaster ILMC 30 SL
ESNS 2018 Super Leaderboard
x

The latest industry news to your inbox.

    

Would you be interested in hearing about marketing opportunities?

news

Two die in crush at Argentine concert

A rare show by superstar singer Indio Solari, on Saturday night at an outdoor concert site in Olavarria reportedly far over capacity, was marred by tragedy

By IQ on 13 Mar 2017

Indio Solari fans, Olavarria, 11 March 2017

Indio Solari fans in Olavarria on 11 March


image © Indio Solari

At least two people have lost their lives in a crush at an over-capacity concert by Argentine singer Indio Solari.

Several people are also believed to have been injured at the show at the La Colmena estate, in the city of Olavarria, on Saturday night.

According to local news site Infoeme, Solari stopped the show several times, telling security personnel: “There are people fainting over there. There are people on the ground. We are trying to take care of everyone. Pick them up.”

Ezequiel Galli, the mayor of Olavarria, told reporters officials had been expecting between 160,000 and 170,000 people to attend the show; more than 300,000 people reportedly turned up.

Argentine president Mauricio Macri last night offered his condolences to the victims’ families but appeared to blame promoters for allowing too many people to enter.

“There are people fainting over there. There are people on the ground”

Speaking to La Cornisa TV, Macri suggested tragedy was inevitable with so many in attendance. “There are limits to how many people can enter a location,” he said. “This may sound unsympathetic, but this is what happens when one breaks the rules.

“This has to be applied in all walks of life. Sometimes knowing how to set limits gives us opportunities and a better future.”

There were also reportedly major delays leaving the site, with many stranded owing to a shortage of buses, although Solari’s wife, Virgina, accused the media of “selling rotten fish”, telling families waiting for loved ones to “not believe anything they [the newspapers] say”: “We hope that in a few hours everyone will arrive at their homes,” she wrote on Facebook yesterday.

Public prosecutor Susana Alonso has launched an investigation to ascertain who is to blame for the crush.

Following the last major live music disaster in Argentina, when five people died at the Time Warp festival in Buenos Aires, city authorities banned electronic music festivals for close to a year.

 


Get more stories like this in your inbox by signing up for IQ Index, IQ’s free email digest of essential live music industry news.

More news

German court reopens Love Parade trial The ten people indicted over the deaths of 21 people at Love Parade 2010 will stand trial after all as a result of a decision by a Dusseldorf court of...appeals
13 facing criminal charges over Closeup deaths Execs from promoter Closeup and its parent company, Unilever Philippines, are among those accused of negligent homicide over the five deaths at...Forever Summer last May
New criminal trial begins for Love Parade 10 Employees of promoter Lopavent and the city of Duisburg will once again take to the dock for one of the biggest criminal trials in German history
‘27% of young people want gig phone ban̵... But most young people still want to film concerts, so they can watch them back later
UK schoolboy convicted over plans to attack Bieber... A 17-year-old will be jailed after being found guilty of plotting a vehicle-ramming attack on a Justin Bieber show at Cardiff's Principality Stadium