The Romanian festival transformed the Pata Rât rubbish dump, which is home to hundreds of displaced Roma, for the second Concerts at the Landfill
Sign up for IQ Index
The latest industry news to your inbox.
The festival is offering police its "full support and assistance" after a man and woman died in separate incidents in the early hours of this morning
By IQ on 08 Jul 2016
Two people have died at T in the Park.
A man and a woman lost their lives in two separate incidents – both being treated as “unexplained”, says Police Scotland – in the early hours of this morning at the three-day festival at Strathallan Castle in Perthshire, which runs until Sunday 10 July.
Geoff Ellis, CEO of festival promoter DF Concerts, says he is “shocked and saddened by today’s news” and that the festival’s “thoughts are with the families and friends at this time”. He adds that DF is “offering our full support and assistance” to the police investigation.
“We are shocked and saddened by today’s news and our thoughts are with the families and friends at this time”
A spokesman for T in the Park tells IQ “there’s nothing else we can say right now”.
The festival overhauled its arena, campsite and transport infrastructure in for 2016 under the direction of Festival Republic managing director Melvin Benn, who was brought in as executive producer after last year’s event – its first at Strathallan Castle, near Auchterarder, after moving from a disused airfield in Balado – was heavily criticised for its traffic congestion, failings on crowd control and security and repeated breaches of planning permission. A 36-year-old man, Andrew West, was found dead in the toilets last year in a similar “unexplained” incident.
Get more stories like this in your inbox by signing up for IQ Index, IQ’s free email digest of essential live music industry news.